Friday, June 19, 2009

Applying for a Colorado Marriage License

Part of getting ready for your wedding day includes getting a marriage license. You should get your marriage license within 30 days of your wedding day - the license is only good for 30 days.

In order to get your marriage license you need to bring the following:

- Cash (they do not take check or credit cards!) to pay for your license - $10 until July 1, 2009 when it will go up to $30

- Proof of identity and age - Driver's License, Passport, Visa, Birth Certificate, Military ID, or state issued ID Card.

- Social Security number

- Application for marriage license - information from the State of Colorado - Both male and female applicants must appear in person to complete and sign the marriage application. If one party cannot appear due to illness, is out of state, or incarcerated, he or she must obtain an ABSENTEE APPLICATION from the Clerk and Recorder’s office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. Applicants need not be residents of Colorado. ABSENTEE APPLICATIONS MUST BE NOTARIZED.

In the state of Colorado you must be at least 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license. If you are not 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian with you when applying (if you are younger than 16, you must also have court approval to get married).

You are not required to have a blood test done before applying.

Also, if you are divored, you must bring in the information regarding your divorce. They need quite a bit of information so it is best to bring the paperwork in with you.

You are able to get a license in any county regardless of where you live and where you are going to get married. Also, you do not have to be a Colorado resident to get a marriage license in Colroado. You are also able to solemnize your marrige, so you do not need to have a prist or judge present at your ceremony.

After you get your marriage license, you are ready to get married! Bring your license to your rehearsal and give it to your wedding planner or officiant. That way it is in safe keeping and your won't have to worry the day of the wedding!